Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Casper, Wyoming?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is hitting Casper and you can still find time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly examining your windows and doors will help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on energy bills.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from leaking in when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Check for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from entering the home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient products.
If you want more information about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Casper at 307-234-1518.